• Historic Walking Tour of Downpatrick
  • Home
Down Arts Centre

Down Arts Centre

23
Map

Information

At the junction of English, Irish and Scotch Streets, Down Arts Centre occupies the old red-brick Assembly Rooms in the centre of town.

Built in 1882, they were designed by the celebrated Belfast-based architect William Batt in a Victorian gothic style.

The building remains an important architectural focus in the town centre, replacing a Market House of 1660 on the same site. It was in the large upper room of the Market House that the Seneschal (or steward) of the Manor of Down used to preside over the Manor Court. Markets were held on the ground floor.

Down Arts Centre was established here in 1984 and the building was refurbished in 2011-12. Its programme offers a wide range of performances, workshops and activities for all ages.

Walk up Scotch Street and you will find The Silent Dog.

Images

Web Addresswww.downartscentre.com
Opening Times
Mon–Sat 10am–4.30pm
Disabled AccessAccess
ToiletsToilets
RefreshmentsRefreshments

Tour Overview

Full Listing