This was previously known as Linen Hall Lane, recalling that Downpatrick once shared in a thriving linen trade. The lane leads to the Down Parish Church (St Margaret).
The tower dates to about 1560 and the nave probably dates to 1735. In the graveyard, on the left of the pathway leading to the church, is the grave of the United Irishman, Thomas Russell, executed in 1803 at the gate of the County Gaol (now Down County Museum).
It is marked by a stone bearing the words The Grave of Russell which was placed there by his friend Mary Ann McCracken, sister of the Belfast United Irishman, Henry Joy McCracken, who was executed in 1798.