Follow the steps on the left which lead to the traditional site of St Patrick’s Grave. This is possibly the site where John de Courcy’s bishop, Malachy, claimed to have rediscovered the remains of St Patrick, St Columcille (Columba) and St Brigid in 1185.
A large memorial stone of Mourne granite was placed here in 1900 by the Belfast Naturalists’ Field Club to mark the burial place of St Patrick.
The stone was quarried at Slieve-nalargie, two miles west of Castlewellan. It took 12 men 14 days to cut the stone.